Monday, November 17, 2008

$4 Meals

Ever since I watched Oprah and she had a family that was really thrifty and spent an average of $4.00 per meal, I have been racking my brain trying to figure out dinner for my family for $4.00. I have found one so far, and felt I needed to share. One of my favorite blogs I follow is Pioneer Woman so I'm going to steal her format but just so you all know, I'm not nearly as precise as her. So here goes nothin'.
Your Doggie Floats my Cheezy Potatoe Boat.


Ingrediants you will need:

1 Box of Instant Potatoes $0.50
1 Package Hot dogs $0.89

8 oz Cheddar Cheese $2.50

I buy my cheese in 1-2 lb packages and so you just need a 1/2 pound which works out to about $2.50. Also I didn't figure in the milk or butter. Most of us have those things on hand. Please don't pay attention to the Kool-Aid stains on the cupboard. I'm out of bleach.

Don't forget to clip the Box Tops. Most schools collect them for money. It is a great program and my kids love taking them to school. They get stuff for bringing them.

Make your potatoes by following the instructions on the box.
It says to make sure not to let it bubble over. So a word to the wise, from the unwise,
Don't Multi-Task!
Let them sit and cool for awhile so they thicken up.
Slice hot dogs lengthwise. Making sure you don't cut them clear through. They should sort of fold out to make a boat. Spoon potatoes onto sliced hot dogs.
Slice cheese and place a piece on each boat. Bake at 350* for about 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.



Add some steamed broccoli and a cute plate and you have a great dinner kids will love for about $4.00. I'm looking for some more dinner ideas for the $4.00 mark so if you have any, send them on over. Also if any of you find some great sales pass it on. We all need some of those.

1 comment:

KT said...

good work! You should start doing the grocery deals with me, we only spend $100 a month on groceries and we eat great!
Yay for deals!