Monday, March 2, 2009

Theater and "My" Children

Tonight we took the kids to the Jefferson Montessori's production of "Once On This Island." Some friends of ours had three of their six kids in it so we decided to brave the storm and support them. I'm always a little nervous when taking my kids into a public environment, so before we get out of the car always ask them, "How do you behave?" I usually always get the response of "Be Good." and we have to elaborate on what that mean. I explained to the kiddos that this was different than the movies and they could only get out of their seats during intermission. I explained that they would need to use the bathroom before the show started and then they could not go again until intermission. Lizzie gave a very concerned reply "But I will pee my pants." I don't think she realized she wouldn't have to wait for hours until she could go.

They were great!! No one gave me looks of dis test or hushed us cuz they coughed. Maybe my monsters are growing up. It was a wonderful show and it was fun to see so many of the kids we knew in it.
Kudos to Jessie, Victoria, Caleb, Jaymon, and Jet. You all did great.
This wonderful little production reminded me how important it is to support school and community theater and music. It is also a great place to teach kids the appropriate behaviors while attending a concert or production in a theater. Give it a try, spring musicals and concerts are coming up. Check with your local high school they would love the added support.
Share you experiences with me, I'd love to hear them.

No comments: