Saturday, March 14, 2009

UP-Chuck-a-Rama!!!!!

We decided to take the kids out to dinner and since they love Chuck-a-rama, there we went. Before we even got out of the driveway, Riley had bit Mason, (apparently he is a rabid dog cuz now Mason has a bruise from hell) Mason was hitting Riley and Lizzie, and TJ was whining and crying like a 2 yr old. Chris and I were hungry and after prolonging the trip with timeouts, we headed to town.
Dinner went great. The kids ate and ate, for the most part they were well behaved and had a good time. After they had all Ice cream, Riley decide to have some more fish, which was fine, but TJ is a little Autistic. Well TJ had eaten a TON of food, it is Chuck-a-rama after all, he had been behaving as "Normal" as TJ is does in public, and then he started to hide under his shirt. We told him to stop but he didn't. After a couple of minutes he said, "I need my space! I need my space!" waving his hands and talking louder than usual. I told him to stop and that he was fine. Then it happened! The unthinkable! The thing parents dread! He PUKED!!! Not a lot but still it was vomit!!! Regurgitated food, however you want to say it, it was PUKE!!! He has done this a lot but it has been two years since we dealt with this quirk in a restaurant.
Chris was mortified, completely embarrassed. I was trying to get him away from the table so more wouldn't come. He tells me that he smelled the fish and it made him sick, he told me he tried to tell me he was sick but I didn't listen. I sent him to the bathroom and we gathered everyone up to leave.
TJ has made a ton of progress!! Despite the embarrassing moment, I was so excited! He verbalized and came up with a solution. I just didn't listen. He warned us he needed his space and I just blew it off as TJ being TJ. Lesson learned: If he tells me he needs his space, I will give it.
Hooray!!!! All the HARD work is paying off. Maybe next time I will read the cues.

No comments: